Friday, December 18, 2009

Killer Day!!!

Thursday was a KILLER DAY!!!

And I LOVED that idea!!!

I started chemotherapy! YEA!!! As it started I said HEY ALL YOU EVIL CREAPY cancer CRAP that has had free reign inside my body for so long, NOW THE BATTLE BEGINS!!!

I spoke with a Doctor that said by the time you wake up in the morning, there will be DEAD cancer cells to be flushed out! I LOVE THAT!!!

Before starting my chemo treatment at 1pm, they wanted me to go to another place to check out my heart. I walked down the hall with the technician & at one point I said let me know if I am going too fast for you (I was DRAGGING SLOW!). She laughed. She took me into a room & looked at the orders & in a shocked, surprised voice said are you aware they want you on a treadmill. I said I could handle being on the treadmill, as long as they didn't turn it on! She said it starts out slow but increases in speed & incline every 3 minutes. She then said she was going to page the Doctor to verify the orders. A few minutes later she came back & said they just want me to lay on my side & they will do an ultrasound. WHAT A RELIEF!!! I PASSED THE TREADMILL TEST!!! Or should I say I BYPASSED the treadmill test!

By 12:30 I was over to the Infusion lab. They started by accessing the port a Doctor had previously surgically inserted under my colar bone. It goes directly into a larger vein. After they accessed the port, I can honestly say I LOVE THAT PORT!!!

They drew blood to do lab work on me. It takes between 45-60 minutes to get the results. Then a nurse came over & started an IV. I lost count of the number of different bags of stuff they gave me. First something to hydrate me, then a steroid, then something to fight nausa, then something else, then finally came the chemo. 3 or 4 different chemo types. Those required the nurse to not hand as an IV drip, but a syringe timed push. Then additional IV drips, then a flush, then a lubricant for the port. Then I was done. It was now 6pm (after starting at 12:30) WOW!

But I have to admit they treated me so good. And I had an extra BONUS for me. My brother is a volunteer at the Infusion room on Fridays. He wanted me to get treatment on Friday, but it was booked. I then told him if I got it on Friday he would see me, but would be so busy helping every one else. But with me there on Thursday, he could devote his entire attention to me. Originally I invited him to be there because I knew it was what he wanted & was important to him. But it didn't take long up there for me to realize I was the one that REALLY wanted & needed him there for me! He was AMAZING!!! He knew just what patients wanted or needed & he was so proactive! And whenever I asked for something, he immediately took care of me! I even got him to rub my back, because my back was bothering me. Later I asked him to remove my shoes. He got up, went across the room & returned with surgical gloves on to remove them. WHAT A BUM! Brent, THANKS can't express the appreciation for your long hours there solely for me! Having you there... PRICELESS!!!

Also my dear friend & resource, Dr. John Ward stopped in to check on me. In fact, he stopped in TWICE! It was so comforting to me when I see him or hear his voice! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

On the ride home, just before getting to the house, I felt I was going to loose it. Before getting out of the car,I asked Sandra to get a bucket for me... just in case. Turns out I think the ride home was what bothered me. I quickly calmed down.

I had a short visit with Brent & Louise (2 of my siblings) & my Mom. Then they left to give Brent a ride home (he ahd gotten there by Trax & I just didn't want him to go that way back home this late all just to be there for me!.

I rested & retired early for the night. I had a slight sense of upset stomach, but not bad at all. I awoke twice during the night, but just briefly. I felt I had a good night's sleep!

Oh, by the way, Laurie, I wore the CANCER SUCKS socks there. The nurse loved them! And I enjoyed a bit of the caramel! YUM!!!

And thanks for the dinner that was brought in. Even though I didn't feel up to eating, it was nice I could share some with my brother that had given up so much of his day & evening just for me. He enjoyed the food.

Thanks to all of you that are sharing your thoughts, love & prayers in my behalf. I may not reply, but I do read each comment MULTIPLE TIMES!!! Keep it up!!! It helps my spirits!

As I said at the first, it was a KILLER DAY!!! And I LOVE IT!!!

Jim, the cancer SLAYER!!!

6 comments:

  1. We're thinking of you Jim!! Keep up the wonderful spirits and know that the Lord is blessing you!! Love and prayers to you and your family from us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, it was good to be there with you. Even when I was the subject of your jokes with the nurse. LOL. And I couldn't help myself using the surgical gloves when you said you wanted your shoes off. I also should have used a face mask. LOL

    I'm glad you are doing fine after your 1st chemo treatment. I hope you have a great day today slaying that cancer. Show it who the boss is.

    Brent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim - your sense of humor and attitude are amazing -- it'll be what helps you and your family through! if you've seen 'Finding Nemo' you have to 'just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, ahhhh ahh ahh ahh ah ah - you've got to SWIM!' -- your new friend -- jami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, much different than I expected your first day of chemo to be. But much better. I'm so glad you weren't nauseated. I love that you are killing that creepy cancer. Flush it away! Flush it away! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today about 4 or 5 infusion room nurses and several cancer patients asked how your first chemo treatment went. Several patients said they will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your sense of humor. Loved the picture in my mind of my two brothers together in this difficult time. Thanks, Brent for being there with Jim.

    ReplyDelete