Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

Oh how I love the spirit of Christmas! And this year was no different (in that aspect at least). I really feel that Christmas snuck up on me. Amazing how quickly it gets here when you just stay in the house & don't do much!

CHRISTMAS EVE

It was a quiet evening. Early in the evening I had two people from my church come over to give me a blessing. I have received blessings before (including a blessing from an Apostle of the Lord) but I just felt I wanted another one. I wasn't looking for a miracle or anything like that. And the blessing from these two people that I hold in such high esteem gave me a most beautiful blessing. The things in the blessing were just what I needed to hear. Blessings of a clear mind as important decisions come and need to be made. That the Lord is very mindful of me and my situation. It was such a comfort to me. Thanks!

In the evening, the doorbell rang & there was a UPS package delivered on the porch. I opened it up & it was from my niece that lives in Texas. She sent the most touching, love-filled, funny package! Each item had a note attached. Here is what was included.

A neck pillow: May your neck be strong enough to hold you head up high during this trial.

Truffles: Cancer is nothing to be "triffled" with, so attack it with gusto!

Hershey's Hugs & Kisses candy: Since we can't be there to hug you in person, this is the next best thing!

Kleenex packages: For wiping tears of those who aren't as strong as you are.

Lip Balm: Balm of Gilead (Bible dictionary) An aromatic gum or spice used for healing wounds.

Melt Away Stress lotion: Stress? What the, what's that? Yeah right!

Neosporin "Neo to Go!" : Mr. Creep, it's time TO GO!

Jelly Belly jelly beans: We love yer guts! And we love your belly, even though we hate the intruder in it!

Plush stockings: You can de"feet: this Creepy intruder: take one step at a time!

Kate, That was AMAZING!!! I LOVED IT!!! THANKS!!!


My Mom prepared a most delicious dinner & came & enjoyed it with us. It was wonderful. Then it was a quiet evening & off to bed.

CHRISTMAS DAY

Sandra & I got up & she placed the gifts around the tree. She cooked a delicious breakfast & then I called my Mom to come over & watch the kids open presents & eat breakfast.

The kids were given an abundance of gifts. The amazing thing is that neither Sandra or I had gotten anything. A week or two ago, Sandra's work asked if they could provide a Christmas for our family. And they did it outstanding. I am sure that the kids got a better Christmas than if I was healthy & wealthy!

The gifts were tailored exactly to what they would have wanted if they had prepared a list themselves. Thanks to all those at Sandra's work for blessing our lives!

At 10 am we got to call Daniel, our missionary in Mexico! That was so fun! We got to speak for about 1 hour. It was so fun & enjoyable (mostly) except for the few moments at the end when the conversation turned to me & my health! He is struggling with it (as well be expected!) but I assured him that we will keep him updated as things progress. And that we would NEVER keep important things from him. I feel he was at peace with that.

The rest of the day was low key. It included speaking to each of my siblings. What a treat for me!

Merry Christmas to you all!!!

4 comments:

  1. I had hoped to surprise you with an in-person visit but the closing of I-80 from Cheyenne to Laramie prevented that from happening. Can't even explain the disappointment that we felt as we drove back home. But it was so good talking to you on the phone today and hearing about your missionary phone call, the packages and gifts your angel friends (and beautiful niece!) sent your way. Love you! Merry Christmas Jim and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good talking to you, Jim. I wish Illinois wasn't so far away from Utah. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim,

    Sandra sent me a link to your blog! Thanks for letting me share this journey with you! My little family prays for you every day! Sandra is an amazing woman and her friendship is dear to me. You both have such great strength...it is inspiring to me!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete